Join the B.B. Barns Team
grow with us
Are you a team player, passionate about people, and focused on premier customer service through excellent, joyful communication? Are you enthusiastic about helping people succeed with their gardening projects or by installing a landscape project? If the answer is yes, then decide if you qualify for one of the available positions listed on this page. If you qualify, you can fill out a form by clicking the Join Our Team button or you can apply in person by visiting the B.B. Barns Garden Center. If we feel you qualify for a position, we will schedule a formal interview by appointment. We look forward to meeting our future team members.
We welcome anyone who is interested in joining our team to apply at anytime. We will review all applications and resumes and contact qualified applicants when an opening becomes available. Thank you for your interest.
Garden Center Positions
Customer retail sales associate
B.B. Barns Customer Retail Sales Associates must have a love for plants and a passion for people and gardening. Retail Sales Associates are responsible for giving every customer a unique B.B. Barns experience. We pride ourselves with customer satisfaction through over-the-top customer service. We achieve this through excellent communication skills, having the highest quality products and plants, exceeding expectations in the services we provide, and maintaining an appealing garden center. Positions are available in the nursery (trees, shrubs, roses, perennials, and vines) and our annual department (annuals, hanging baskets, vegetables, and herbs).
Seasonal Positions typically run for 12-20 weeks.
We are looking for accountable members of our Hospitality Team. These team members will work primarily as cashiers to process all transactions accurately and efficiently in accordance with established policies and procedures. Successful candidates will play a fundamental role in achieving our customer satisfaction goals and enjoy working with the public, in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should have good computer skills, be customer service oriented, with careful and accurate transactions.
Seasonal Positions from 4-12 weeks.
We need high energy, self-motivated individuals to help facilitate our customers. These individuals are often the last person to see our customers so they need to have a pleasant demeanor, be very independent in how they work, and most importantly, enjoy a non-stop work environment. The best candidates enjoy working with the public, giving over the top customer service and being part of a team, while working individually.
Seasonal Positions up to 20 weeks.
Plant care specialist are a vital asset to our team. We believe in giving the best selection and quality to our customers. We can only achieve this by having dedicated, independently motivated watering staff. Successful candidates enjoy working independently, while taking direction from nursery and annual staff and managers.
Seasonal Position 16-20 weeks.
receiving dept. assistant
While working in our receiving department, this individual must be very goal oriented, a quick learner and able to work at a fast pace. Successful candidates must be able to follow directions, stay on their feet for extended periods, and work in all weather conditions. This individual is responsible for unloading trucks, unpacking boxes, tagging individual items, and getting them to our merchandisers in a meticulous and efficient manner.
Seasonal Position 10 weeks.
nursery support, perennial support, & annual support positions (4 total)
While working in a support role, candidates should enjoy a fast-paced environment of assisting Department Managers and Retail Customer Sales Associates. Successful candidates should work well as a team, but also be independently motivated to accomplish a wide variety of tasks. Unloading deliveries in an efficient and accurate manner, following pricing and tagging procedures, assisting with getting plant material "on the floor" for retail sales, pulling and tagging sold material, and general plant maintenance are the most vital job duties. Clear, consistent, and accurate communication with other team members is required for success.
Seasonal Positions up to 20 weeks.
delivery/plant installation assistant
The successful candidate should be motivated to work with our Delivery & Installation Manager but also work independently. This position requires customer communication, so candidates should have an excellent demeanor along with exceptional communication skills. The Delivery/Plant Installation Assistant position works primarily off site delivering purchased plants and hard goods to customers’ homes and businesses, and installs plant material under the direction of the Delivery & Installation Manager. Successful candidates should have a basic understanding of plant installation but also be very trainable in B.B. Barns planting procedures. This position requires driving B.B. Barns company vehicles, so all candidates must have a clean driving record and background check.
Landscape Services Positions
PLANT PROCUREMENT (BUYER) POSITION
The Plant Buyer sources and plans timely delivery and/or pick up of all plant material and develops relationships with growers and re-wholesalers to provide the best quality plants at the best prices. The buyer manages and maintains the onsite holding areas for all plant material, including watering, organizing by job name, ensuring consistent plant quality on arrival as well as during the holding period before plants are sent to the job site. The buyer works closely with CRMs to discuss plant availability and plant substitutes when necessary and maintains the plant database in our estimating system and is responsible for procuring the best plants at the best prices in the most efficient manner, as well as detailed record keeping of plants used on each job for the purpose of identifying specific plants should replacements be necessary. The buyer supports crew members and CRMs by helping load trucks, and delivering plants to the job site when needed. The buyer will also have secondary responsibilities working with the Director of Operations in logistics at various times of the year. These responsibilities would include hauling and moving equipment and materials to and from job sites, suppliers, and the BB Barns yard.
- Must be able to work independently, to be able to solve problems on their own and to make educated decisions with confidence. The Plant Buyer must be highly organized self starter and be able to be self directed.
- Must have a working knowledge of basic plant material and be able to identify most plants and have an eye for quality control including insect and disease awareness. They must know basic sun/shade requirements and cultural needs for plants.
- Must have the ability to operate Landscape vehicles, including dump trucks, skid steers, dingos and the towing of trailers.
- Must be proficient in Excel and Google Sheets.
- Ability to set a schedule and manage a task list in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Crew Leaders, supervisors and clients.
- Ability to be efficiency minded and accomplish given tasks in a predetermined order and timeframe.
- Ability to adjust priorities and manage time wisely in a fast paced environment through multi-tasking.
- Must have the desire and ability both to work on the computer as well as to be outdoors, often in inclement weather. This job is equal parts both.
- Must be a very detail oriented person, and be able to follow through with every order - no matter how small. Often the plant buyer is the reminder for CRMs and the Operations Manager when little jobs fall through the cracks during the busy time.
- The buyer also keeps a record of plants returned by clients and alerts the Operations Manager when they are. In addition to keeping CRMs updated about what plants are available (not reserved for jobs) on the yard that can be used. Or to use rejected plants on future jobs, as they come up, instead of ordering new plants.
Landscape crew technician
We are presently seeking motivated Landscape Technicians.
It is our goal to attract excellent staff members–one of our company’s most valued assets. B.B. Barns Landscape Company has designed a compensation system intended to foster excellence. Pay levels are competitive and based on the applicant’s level of experience. Join a landscape team that is focused on design and installation of the highest quality and standards.
- Must be able to communicate in English
- Some landscape or horticultural experience preferred but not required
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Be able to drive large trucks (standard and automatic transmission)
- Must be able to follow instructions and training from the crew leader
- Must be able to perform heavy and repeated lifting, stooping, climbing, bending and reaching and work fast and efficiently.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather
- Job Type: Full-time
Garden Service Crew Technician
We are looking for experienced gardeners with a passion for plants and people. The position includes regular garden maintenance, IPM, planting, pruning, annual install and design, as well as customer service and client communication. Our team also handles basic irrigation, lighting, drainage and wood line management. Successful candidates will have expertise in horticultural maintenance and customer service in addition to experience operating a all manner of small equipment, driving a dump truck, and specialty hand tools. Applicants should be familiar with industry standards for plant care and garden maintenance.
- Have at least 3 years experience in the landscape industry
- Have a valid drivers license and clean driving record.
- Horticultural education is preferred but not required.
- NC Pesticide Applicators License preferred but not required.
- Job Type: Full-time