NOTE: this position may be filled at our Asheville, NC or Columbia, SC locations. The primary responsibility of the Gift Department Buyer is a great eye for buying products that are both desirable and price-conscious. This position is responsible for all financial goals of the department, will help with setting all sales goals and inventory goals for the department, and will assist with decision-making if those goals are not being met. The B.B. Barns Gift Department Buyer position is an integral part of our team: as the buyer of the fourth largest category in our stores, this position requires great focus, stamina, and customer engagement. Teamwork is critical to success, and the interdependence of all team members is vital to the success of both the company and all managers and team members. A high level of communication must always be maintained regarding purchasing decisions, sales, and inventory levels.
Successful candidates for this position must possess all the skills listed above. In addition, they should be technologically savvy, proficient in all Microsoft Office programs, and learn the VMX Point of Sale system quickly. The position requires at least 5 years of retail purchasing experience, familiarity with trends and vendors, and familiarity with the Atlanta AmericasMart and the corresponding shows. Qualified candidates will have a proven track record of excellent customer service. Multiple references are required for all candidates.
- Develop and maintain an inventory selection designed to maintain the company brand, increase sales, nurture customer relations, and set our company apart from all other retailers in the market.
- Respond to customer service issues as the final representative of the Department when needed
Purchasing, Merchandising, Plant Maintenance
- Receiving: Communicate daily with receiving departments on orders and expected delivery times.
- Pricing: Maintain pricing policies for all department products.
- Signage/Labeling: Coordinate signage program for the department.
- Merchandising: Support all locations with ideas for merchandising needs of department products to achieve sales results based on sales goals.
- Maintenance: Coordinate product maintenance program with all locations.
- Quality Control: Ensure that all products meet or exceed quality standards.
- Inventory Control: Guide purchasing decisions to maintain correct inventory mixes and levels according to goals for department and seasonality of the store and department; and develop positive vendor relationships with existing and new potential vendors.
- Advertising/Marketing: Participate in the decision-making process related to advertising and marketing the Gift Department.
Department Financial Management
- Assist in developing weekly, monthly, and yearly inventory and sales goals.
- On a consistent basis, generate reports on sales patterns and profitability of each department, sub-category, and item.
- Respond to changes in buying patterns and seasonal changes with appropriate inventory levels and mixes.
The Gift Department Buyer must be efficient with all technology resources. The responsibility for keeping our Point of Sale system up to date (regarding the Gift Department), entering new items into the system and inputting all purchase orders and receivers, falls on the Department Buyer (with assistance from the Inventory Manager and team).