Asheville: Human Resources Coordinator
The Human Resources (HR) Coordinator will collaborate with members of the Senior Leadership Team to carry out the routine functions of the Human Resources Department. These include but are not limited to: employee recruiting, hiring, and termination processes, employee benefits administration, and assisting with creating and upholding company policies and procedures. The HR Coordinator is expected to administer each task with professionalism and confidentiality. The person in this position will naturally radiate B.B. Barns, Inc. Core Values (Care, Grow, Deliver).
- Support the Director of Retail Operations, the Director of Services, Store Managers, and other members of the Senior Leadership Team in the following:
- Hiring efforts, such as editing/formatting/posting jobs, attending job fairs, screening resumes, running employment verifications, and communicating with candidates
- Employee onboarding, such as collecting initial paperwork, entering employee information in company databases, setting up drug testing, obtaining motor vehicle reports (MVR) and running background checks
- Carrying out disciplinary / corrective action plans and employee terminations, such as formatting performance improvement plans, sending exit interview forms, removing employees from internal systems, and initiating COBRA notifications
- Creating, revising, and maintaining accurate job descriptions for all positions
- Maintain employee personnel files and reports related to compensation, benefits, compliance, and accidents/injuries.
- Administer employee benefit programs, such as workers’ compensation insurance; health insurance and HSA; dental, vision, and life insurance; retirement saving programs; disability insurance; PTO; holiday pay; and unemployment.
- Coordinate annual open enrollment for health insurance and communicate with team members regarding new or changing benefits.
- Process leave of absence requests for employees, ensuring that all required documentation is obtained from the employee. Track and monitor the duration of the leave and, prior to the conclusion of the leave, communicate with the employee and obtain the necessary return-to-work documentation.
- Act as the first point of contact for employees with questions related to benefits.
- Write and send out monthly company newsletter.
- Lead “Culture Crew” (cross-department team dedicated to improving BB Barns’ culture).
- Provide direction to the Senior Leadership Team and Management regarding the company’s HR practices, policies, and procedures (as needed).
- Assist with development and revision of employee handbook policies and other policies related to employment or HR matters.
- Maintain compliance with state and federal employment regulations.
- Assist with any special projects as requested by the Director of Finance (e.g., Gifts for vendors/clients/partners, Christmas party planning, etc.).
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
We seek a Human Resources Coordinator with the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; a Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Human Resources or a related field preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of HR experience that includes recruiting, benefits administration, assisting managers with employee relations matters, recordkeeping, and compliance preferably in the retail or green industry.
- Must have working knowledge of federal employment regulations, including but not limited to the FLSA, Title VII, the ADA, FMLA, the PWFA, the IRCA, OSHA, and state employment regulations including but not limited to NC and SC wage and hour and antidiscrimination regulations.
- An appreciation and passion for working with plants and beautifying the environment preferred.
- Proficiency in use of HRIS programs required, preferably with ADP Workforce Now and Navigator.
- Must have strong communication skills including professional, clear, and articulate verbal and writing skills.
- Must be friendly and able to build rapport easily with others and must demonstrate a collaborative style and strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive HR issues with diplomacy and tact.
- Must have ability to work independently, be assertive in a pleasing way, and actively listen.
- Must have excellent time management, prioritization, and organizational skills, plus flexibility to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Must have analytical problem-solving ability, attention to detail, follow-through skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- SHRM or HCP certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications required.
Job Type: Part-time (20 hours per week)
Work for this position will primarily be remote, with a minimum of one day per week at B.B. Barns offices. Initial onboarding (first 2-3 weeks) will be conducted in person at B.B. Barns’ offices.
Salary: Competitive commensurate with experience
B.B. Barns’ Core values
Create a positive work environment for the growth and success of employees and the company that focuses on teamwork and servant leadership.
Develop, supervise, and maintain a professional team of employees, trained in the correct procedures of outstanding customer service, product sales and inventory maintenance. Set the pace and example for achieving personal and business goals.
Maintain a customer service program that sets the company apart. Create and maintain a neat, clean, and well-organized shopping environment for our customers and staff.
Job Opportunities at B.B. Barns